As I’ve stated before, a lot of people cannot physically and mentally handle working a full time job AND going to school full time. As a result, choosing between an education and being able to take care of yourself, financially.
The people that choose to get an education, often find themselves in a place that causes depression, anxiety, and constantly asking themselves if they made the right decision.
As if that stress wasn’t enough, assignments, midterms, exams, and finals all pile up at once, and it makes the experience of going to school a grim one.
Those folks will probably experience one of these throughout their schooling:
- Those who think asking for help shows signs of weakness and it hurts their pride.
- Those who are afraid of rejection, so they sit and wallow about the fact that they are poor and don’t do anything to fix it.
- Those who want to ask someone for help, but aren’t sure how to go about asking respectfully.
If you identify with one of these three descriptions, I promise, you will not be drowning in debt forever.
There are simple ways to go about asking for help, without making you or the other person uncomfortable.
Our friends at eHowwrote up an article which perfectly describes the appropriate process of asking someone for financial help in four easy steps.
- Make sure you clearly state the reason why you REALLY need the money. Whether it be for rent, paying off your car, or simply to live off of until you get your feet on the ground, people and businesses will get a better understanding of how much you need the money.
- Remember that not everyone you go to will be able to help you, so don’t let your current financial situation make you an angry person. Staying humble, being appreciative for even listening to your story, and not making people feel bad for you will help you out in the long run.
- Being able to explain that you have a plan to change how you’re currently living is something that people will not only respect, but they will also see that you’re going in one direction, and that’s up!
- This might be the most important step in the process. Express to them how thankful you are they want to and are willing to help you. Even if they can’t help, the fact that they want to is something to be grateful for. Sending thank you notes is ALWAYS a simple and nice way to make people know that you do care about them.
Please, don’t be afraid to ask for help. It could come from someone you least expect!